In 1895-96 the need for a home for aged women became apparent. Enough money was raised from contributions from churches and private citizens to purchase the home of Mr. & Mrs. George B. Huff at 1146 Wellesley Avenue. On November 23, 1911 the Jefferson County Home for the Aged was incorporated under Ohio law, and residents were welcomed.

On March 12, 1926, Daniel McConville and Lillie McConville, owners of the McConville homestead at 408 North Fifth Street, dedicated the property to the memory of their mother, Martha Cochrane McConville, for the use and benefit of aged women of Jefferson County, Ohio. Repairs were made and an addition, with an elevator, was completed.

Throughout the years, the Home has been operated under the management of a Board of Directors made up of interested citizens who volunteer their services. Martha Manor Home has updated sprinkler and individual call systems, and meets all state, county and city codes as a Residential Care Facility.